Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Truck I Fell for…Hard



Most of us search online or visit a dealership to find our next new ride, but not me! I found mine in the middle of a field on a 340-acre ranch in NW Montana at an amazing music fest! While this is a current-day experience, the truth is I fell for International Harvester’s Scout nearly 35 years ago when my big brother had one. I loved its boxy shape, big tires, rugged look, no top…oh, it was a fun ride! I realize now that what drew me most to this awesome truck was how my big brother felt in it – the dude was lit up every time he was behind the wheel and even when he was covered in grease, hunched over the engine. Now, at 40, I feel the sense of freedom and fun the Scout evokes from those of us who love them. I’ve dreamt of the Scout more than once and know it represents the ultimate in JOY for me.

So, one could understand, as I walked out of an amazing live music experience, still buzzed up from the shows and the crowd and the full-moon setting, that when I caught a glimpse of that big, rugged, red, topless ride sporting white stripes, I screamed with delight and took off running toward it, full tilt through a rough field. Yep, this is the truck I quite literally fell for! And no, I couldn’t just fall - I tripped, spent what felt like minutes almost getting my footing as I leaped through the air, and finally landed face-down in the field 20 feet away from that sweet ride…with three people sitting inside watching the whole spectacle. My partner in musical crime still stood in the spot from which I started my Scout spree, mouth gaping at my ridiculousness, but came to just in time to help me off the ground, laughing 'til I peed yet again.

Breathless, bruised, grass-stained, and nearly hysterical, I finally reached my automobile Mecca and its three passengers. “YOU GUYS!!!! This is my DREAM car!!” Their looks of shock and horror quickly melted into smiles and laughter and I delighted in hearing how this sexy, long-box Scout came to be Maggie’s back in North Carolina so many years before. Her excitement and passion for her Scout were a mirror for my joy, and now I have the inspiration to find my very own when the time is right! It’s a love affair for each of us I think, and I’ve added one more item to my bucket list for sure!

How about you? What makes you scream with delight and run toward your dreams?






No comments:

Post a Comment